As an academic library leader, I am driven to inspire meaningful innovation and excited by creative scholarship in its many forms.
- Head of Digital Scholarship Services, UC Irvine Libraries, 2020-present
- Research Librarian for Digital Humanities and History, 2018-2020
- Information Resources Coordinator, Claremont Colleges Library, 2015-2018
- Manager of Reference Services, California Lutheran University, 2014-2015
- Evening Circulation Supervisor, California Lutheran University, 2012-2014
The Bibliographic Records as Research Project was an experimental side project with colleagues Joshua Hutchinson, Sarah Wallbank and Danielle Kane in which we explored what it means to ask more nuanced questions of bibliographic records in the context of “collections as data.”
Design, Build, Experience (DBE) started out as a pitch and evolved into a collaborative student learning experience whose goal was to support students through the development of library-based art installations that rendered otherwise “invisible” electronic resources as tangible objects. DBE offered students opportunities to engage deeply with library “electronic resources” and newly designed library spaces, all while utilizing a design-thinking approach to communicating library services to the public.
VESSEL: Text (Re)Accessioned was a creative collaboration that included artists and writers Larkin Higgins and Jen Lagedrost Cavendar. A deaccessioned library copy of The Bountiful Sea, by Seabrook Hull (1964) became a series of folded paper boats from which poems emerged. This SCLEC Lightning Talk goes into more depth.
- Dahdul, W., Dickerson, M., Kane, D. (2022). “Orienting Data Services in the Library: Evolution of a Digital Scholarship Services Department” in Academic Libraries as Partners in Data Science Ecosystems. IGI Global.
- Bello, L., Dickerson, M., Hogarth, M., and Sanders, A. (2021). “Building a DIY Community of Practice” in People, Practice, Power: Digital Humanities Outside the Center. University of Minnesota Press.
- Dickerson, M., Hutchinson, J., Kane, D., Wallbank, S. (Dec 2019). “Exploring Bibliographic Records as Research Data” in Catalogue & Index.
- Bello, L., Dickerson, M., Hogarth, M., and Sanders, A. (Jun 2017). “Librarians Doing DH: A Team and Project- Based Approach to Digital Humanities in the Library.” Collaborative Librarianship. Vol.9, Iss. 2, Article 6.
- Dickerson, M. (May 2016). “Beta Spaces as a Model for Recontextualizing Reference Services in Libraries.” In the Library with the Lead Pipe.
- Dickerson, M. (Nov 2019). “ARL-CNI Fall Forum 2019 Explores Research Libraries as Catalytic Leaders.” Association of Research Libraries. https://www.arl.org/arl-cni-fall-forum-2019-explores-research-libraries-as-catalytic-leaders/
- Dickerson, M. (Spring 2017). “Not So Neutral on Net Neutrality.” iSchool Descriptor. San Jose State University. ALASC. http https://ischoolgroups.sjsu.edu/alasc/wp-descriptor/?p=1842
- Dickerson, M. (Nov 2016). “Social Media Case Study: Learning at the Ferguson Municipal Public Library.” iSchool Descriptor. San Jose State University. ALASC. http://scholarship.claremont.edu/library_staff/54/